Maldita kernel...
Leonardo
2006-05-15 16:30:43 UTC
Olá....sou novo em matéria de linux...rsrs....queria saber como faço pra
fazer a atualização da kernel do red hat 9....ele utiliza kernel
2.6....gostaria d fazer o update para a 2.6.....issu tudo para poder
instalar a placa pci wireless...estou tentando instalar o driver de uma
D-link que nau existe na lista de driver do linux....entau...procurei saber
algo pela internet....encontrei um simulador d driver...q faz a simulação do
driver do windows no linux....soh q ele exige uma kernel mais atual, por
issu queria saber como faço essa atualização....e se issu realmente eh
necessario...
Obrigado.

Leonardo Quesada
Bruno L. F. Cabral
2006-05-15 16:51:53 UTC
Hello

This is an english language list for users of linuxAP,
not a general list for linux users

try linux-***@listas.conectiva.com.br to get support
on redhat 9 in portuguese language. BTW, RH9 is pretty
old, you'd better upgrade to fedora core 4 or latter

Cheers
!3runo
Leonardo Quesada
Leonardo
2006-05-15 17:33:20 UTC
Ow...sorry...
but, I just want know about the kernel...and your update...
who I can do it??
please....i need some help with this.....
thanks...
Leonardo Quesada
Benjamin Henrion
2006-05-15 18:33:41 UTC
BTW, is there a more recent kernel running on the sc400?

I still have some APs out there, and maybe I want to build a fresh
distro once emdebian is running.

Otherwise, do you know if the JTAG pins are connected to the PCMCIA
connector? Normally, it would be possible to reflash those devices that
way, but I have no idea if the connectors of the SoC are well connected
to the PCMCIA pins.
Ol�....sou novo em mat�ria de linux...rsrs....queria saber como fa�o pra
fazer a atualiza��o da kernel do red hat 9....ele utiliza kernel
2.6....gostaria d fazer o update para a 2.6.....issu tudo para poder
instalar a placa pci wireless...estou tentando instalar o driver de uma
D-link que nau existe na lista de driver do linux....entau...procurei saber
algo pela internet....encontrei um simulador d driver...q faz a simula��o do
driver do windows no linux....soh q ele exige uma kernel mais atual, por
issu queria saber como fa�o essa atualiza��o....e se issu realmente eh
necessario...
Obrigado.
Leonardo Quesada
<<< INSPIRE Directive will close >>>
<<< Public access to State-collected Geographic Data >>>
<<< All over Europe >>>
<<< http://publicgeodata.org >>>
Bruno L. F. Cabral
2006-05-15 20:00:03 UTC
Post by Benjamin Henrion
BTW, is there a more recent kernel running on the sc400?
No that I'm aware off, but a few weeks ago I found a place
selling new eumitcomm boards. here is the link

http://starnetwifi.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=108

Cheers
!3runo
Leonardo
!3runo
Keith Smith
2006-05-16 04:46:07 UTC
Post by Bruno L. F. Cabral
Post by Benjamin Henrion
BTW, is there a more recent kernel running on the sc400?
No that I'm aware off, but a few weeks ago I found a place
selling new eumitcomm boards. here is the link
http://starnetwifi.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=108
Cheers
!3runo
I was curious. . . I think these are not "new" per-se. Perhaps a
production run sell-off. In particular the sc400 is no longer
available. I'm sure deep pockets could get a production run, but I
doubt you could obtain the CPU for $22, much less the board all that
discrete logic is sitting on. My guess is actual production cost on
that board would be around $70 @ 1000. I had a run lined up a while
back from Tiawan for Qty 1K @$100ea, but they insisted on the exact same
board, and we wanted the 66Mhz CPU, 8MB RAM and a 2M flash. The board
was capable, the manufacturer was not willing. The RAM is/was the
biggie. 2M/8MB would actually make this board useful. The thing really
struggled with some of the encryption stuff though, and the BUS was
pathetic.

I have one of these left here as a spare. All the rest the mainboards
died, continuously rebooting. <sigh>. Power is also a problemm, the 9v
1.1a transformer that came with these things was real junk. All but one
of those I owned died. The wifi cards in them however are about
indestructable. I have a pile of them, all 100% functional, most at
1.7.1 now.

You can put together a WRAP .2C:
Board 120
Case 15
Flash 15
CM6 25 (Atheros E-bay)
Pigtail 10
WallWart 10

Total <200

For a 266Mhz, SC1100 w/64MB RAM and 128MB flash compare to a 33Mhz
SC400 w/4MB RAM and 1M flash
8x faster, 16x RAM, 128x Storage (and you can take this right on up into
the GB's if you
fancy). This is a "no-brainer".

We have been steadily replacing the WL11000's as they croak. I have 2
left in production here.

For a few more bucks you can get a soekris, in a steel cabinet you can
beat with a sledgehammer, Now if we could just figure out how to get rid
of the U.FL connectors on those mini-pci cards we'll be
good-to-go. . .:)

For $80 you can get an ATHEROS A/B/G mini-pci board 400mW from
mwave.com, if you need to just blast it out. Madwifi not quite up to
hostap, but it's improving. Supports hostapd now too.

Frankly, new drivers and capabilities for these chipsets require too
much space for the silly emuticom. I'll breathe a sigh of relief when I
retire the last one. Going to get rid of the other two in the next 60
days.
Bruno L. F. Cabral
2006-05-16 22:57:19 UTC
Hello Keith, Hello folks

Before start putting money on 400mW cards, better read this thread
http://forums.star-os.com/showthread.php?p=31116
(we had similar results, here)

I have a bunch of USR2450s laying around here (almost 10, I think) with
no usage, as I'm personally running WRAP2C from quite some time, now,
and I must say I'm very happy with them.

I remember someone selling 2MB flash upgrades to WL11000 but it required
lots of soldering, as adding more RAM would. If only it was easier so
anyone can add it... as easy as i.e. adding a SD memory card on
openwrt's WRT54G (six pins to solder and a driver, very easy!).

Any hardware hackers still here willing to try to port the SD hack? ;-)

Keith, how did you upgrade the firmware on linuxap pccards? that could
earn a few bits of flash space (removing hostap wep support and doing it
on pccard firmware). I saw once an upgrade on star-os site but never had
the guts to try it out

http://www.star-os.com/downloads/prism25-156.zip
"This Windows utility will update your Prism 2.5 PCI / PCMCIA card to
primary firmware v1.1.1, and secondary firmware v1.5.6"

where did you get the one you used?

Cheers
!3runo
from Brazil
Post by Keith Smith
I have one of these left here as a spare. All the rest the mainboards
died, continuously rebooting. <sigh>. Power is also a problemm, the 9v
1.1a transformer that came with these things was real junk. All but one
of those I owned died. The wifi cards in them however are about
indestructable. I have a pile of them, all 100% functional, most at
1.7.1 now.
[...]
days.
Keith Smith
2006-05-17 04:21:43 UTC
Post by Bruno L. F. Cabral
Hello Keith, Hello folks
Before start putting money on 400mW cards, better read this thread
http://forums.star-os.com/showthread.php?p=31116
(we had similar results, here)
I'm using the ENGENIUS EMP-8602 PLUS, not the UBIQUITI SR-5.

I think people don't read well. Maximum 'G' Power is much lower, 'A'
even lower yet in the 5.3 bands. The WRAP boards need both a firmware
update, and a later rev/power update in order to behave well with theses
high-power cards. The nice thing about the card is the overall
capability, and some headroom.

I've currently got a pair of CM6's (Identically spec'd to the CM9) in a
1.E running my base AP here, and they do work quite well, but the 5.8
band is limited to like 14dB. I have some A-only boards I got stuck
with by mistake, that are 100mw pure on the 5.8. I want to move all my
customers to 5.8, but was trying to transition. I think now, I'm going
to simply put up a couple of 5.8 antenna's and run side-by-side.
Post by Bruno L. F. Cabral
I have a bunch of USR2450s laying around here (almost 10, I think)
with no usage, as I'm personally running WRAP2C from quite some time,
now, and I must say I'm very happy with them.
Yep, it's like a night and day difference.
Post by Bruno L. F. Cabral
I remember someone selling 2MB flash upgrades to WL11000 but it
required lots of soldering, as adding more RAM would. If only it was
easier so anyone can add it... as easy as i.e. adding a SD memory card
on openwrt's WRT54G (six pins to solder and a driver, very easy!).
Still, it's crazy unless you are doing it for fun. Plus, hacking up a
cross-compiler for ARM and all that junk is just a real PITA. With
WRAP/Soekris, you just do a normal compile, and you can put normal
utilites on the thing. That was the allure of the WL platform, it was
just too limited. Why deal with an 8Mhz ISA bus, and those pathetic
serial ports.
Post by Bruno L. F. Cabral
Keith, how did you upgrade the firmware on linuxap pccards? that could
earn a few bits of flash space (removing hostap wep support and doing
it on pccard firmware). I saw once an upgrade on star-os site but
never had the guts to try it out
Pull the card. Shave the key on the left side off. Put it in the
laptop, . . .
Post by Bruno L. F. Cabral
where did you get the one you used?
prism2_srec works just fine. You have to compile with support, modify
one of the drivers/... .h files, hostap_config.h or something like that.
I also have the WinUpdate.exe utility. Anybody ever figure out what the
heck kind of connector that is on the WL11000 card? It's very close to
an RP-MMCX, but it's not.

--Keith