My experience with SRAM cards and the 2.6 kernel (summary: no go)
Richard Heurtley
2004-07-03 16:01:02 UTC
I'm running Fedora Core 2.

The pcmcia-cs package hasn't been updated for the 2.6 kernel because it
contains its own built-in PCMCIA support. Therefore even if you compile
up a version of pcmcia-cs the memory_cs module that worked under 2.4
still won't work under 2.6.

PCMCIA flash/SRAM support in the 2.6 kernel is broken. The file:

/usr/src/linux/drivers/mtd/maps/Kconfig

contains the following section:

config MTD_PCMCIA
tristate "PCMCIA MTD driver"
depends on MTD && PCMCIA && MTD_COMPLEX_MAPPINGS && BROKEN
help
Map driver for accessing PCMCIA linear flash memory cards. These
cards are usually around 4-16MiB in size. This does not include
Compact Flash cards which are treated as IDE devices.

which DOES NOT enable the critical CONFIG_MTD_PCMCIA keyword that lets
you compile the pcmciamtd.o module.

Even if you hack it in pcmciamtd.o doesn't work.

I believe that last version of Linux in which I was able to run
pcmcia-cs/memory_cs was 2.4.21.