Compiling sources with different libc6 versions
Lluis
2004-02-07 17:04:27 UTC
hi all!
the problem started some months ago, but finally decided to ask about it
:)

the case is that now, using debian, the actual libc6 and libc6-dev
packages' version is 2.3.2.ds1-10, and if I compila an image for my
wl11000, it keeps rebooting on and on after the "- starting kernel"
message (so when alios ends his work, i think)

but in the other hand, with the previous version I was using, 2.3.2-9
(and if I replace with that version, all works again as expected)

so the question is, why the images compiled with libc6's (or libc6-dev's,
don't know, as one depends on the other) versions containing the ds1
"thing" don't work as the previous ones?

thanks a lot

PS: the gcc version used is 3.3.2
Tollbooth
Keith Smith
Lluis
2004-02-16 19:00:55 UTC
Post by Keith Smith
It's likely GCC not glibc. You should be compiling with uClibc for
the wl11000, otherwise nothing fits.
well, in fact i use the "cross compilers" generated by uClibc to compile
applications, but they aren't really cross compilers, but just a wrapper
to use the correct libs, so for what i've seen, changing the version of
the system's glibc influences on compile time (although i don't know if
the influence is direct or caused by the use of a uClibc compiled with
that lib)

my actual workaround is to manually install the "old" version of libc6
and libc6-dev, even if it breaks my system's dependencies, after each
upgrade... it's not the best way, but works ;)

read you!
Tollbooth
Keith Smith
read you!
Bruno Lopes F. Cabral
2004-02-17 10:31:50 UTC
Hi there

I patched linuxAP to install modified uClibc compiler
within ./usr dir, and Makefiles and Image_final to use
it. I'm currently upgrading my old patches to newest
linuxAP to submit it to you guys

anyone with basic skills in tcl/tk (wish shell) and
sh? I did two scripts (wish+sh) to make the graphical
buttons but wish to see if they can be put together
as one...

Cheers
!3runo

P.S. Keith, hostap-0.0.4 seems to be readonly on
source file dir (on-line)
Roy
2004-02-20 01:06:34 UTC
I patched linuxAP to install modified uClibc compiler
within ./usr dir, and Makefiles and Image_final to use
it. I'm currently upgrading my old patches to newest
linuxAP to submit it to you guys
anyone with basic skills in tcl/tk (wish shell) and
sh? I did two scripts (wish+sh) to make the graphical
buttons but wish to see if they can be put together
as one...
Cheers
!3runo
P.S. Keith, hostap-0.0.4 seems to be readonly on
source file dir (on-line)
Why linux ap may need tcl?
and what patches do you made?
I also made one: simplified tc version for qos initialization.

another idea is to do separate targets for flash and sram images,
since we can use any sram image fro initial flash, then upgrade it to
anything.
there is no need to waiste so much time on compiling that.

If Keith is reading this, an he explain why no more updates ?
and latest sources are broken (cgi interface)

this hostap file have incorect permissions for 3 or more months already.
Bruno Lopes F. Cabral
2004-02-20 01:23:27 UTC
Hi Roy
Post by Roy
Why linux ap may need tcl?
it doesn't. Keith told me a long time ago that he create
the buttons using GIMP. I simply wrote a pair of scripts
that does the same using wish and shell

wish is tcl so...
Post by Roy
and what patches do you made?
included some new programs, modified compiler to install
itself inside linuxAP dir ...

one that I did for floppyap (and that can be used on
itx and soekris) is net-snmp mini-agent. but now I
get my hands on tinysnmp and will modify to use it
Post by Roy
I also made one: simplified tc version for qos initialization.
which size it gets?
Post by Roy
this hostap file have incorect permissions for 3 or more months already.
he promised me ftp access to correct some things (I did some
work with him and Glenn Engel late 2001, but since USR2450
dissapeared ...)

Cheers
!3runo
Roy
2004-02-20 01:41:44 UTC
Post by Roy
Post by Roy
I also made one: simplified tc version for qos
initialization.
which size it gets?
i did not finished everything but wery much stripped tc binary
takes about half of original size,
unfortunately it still needs math library which also takes 20kb

actualy both they together take about 30kb on flash compresed.
if I could remove match requirement then size will decrease in 10kb.
I still dont understand why it needs math.so
I removed all math.h headers.

Lluis
2004-02-17 19:07:33 UTC
Post by Keith Smith
I simply have slackware-8.1 installed into a directory, that I run "chroot"
to do all the work at the moment. Makes life very simple.
thanks, i'll look on that
(but does anybody wonder why do i get that error? just a question ;))

read you
Tollbooth